Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tutorial: How to Make a Sink Skirt


If you have an old bathroom like me, you probably have a sink with exposed pipes. Yuck! Plus, you don't have the benefit of under-sink storage. So an easy option to cover up the uglies is to make a sink "skirt." Here's how to do it...

Before:

Obtain some velcro-type fastener stuff. I used Velcro brand "Home Decor" tape. One side is a peel-off adhesive and the other side is made for you to stitch.

So stick the adhesive side around the edge of your sink like this:


Measure the distance around your sink and from sink to floor. Add about 1/2" to measurements on each side for a seam allowance. If you want to add pleats or a gathered look, add extra width to account for this. Cut your fabric to these dimensions as well as your trim if you want to add it.

Note: I did not accurately measure the length from sink to floor, so my skirt came out too long. I was lazy and just took up the excess in a "fold" and restitched. You will see this in a later photo.

Press a 1/2" seam allowance around all edges of the fabric. If you want a pleat along the top edge, press the pleat and pin to secure it.



Next, pin the velcro along the top edge of the skirt.


Pin the trim along the bottom edge of the skirt. Stitch all the way around the 4 sides of the skirt, through the velcro and through the trim. I used a 1/4" seam allowance.

Stitch a second row along the velcro edge in order to secure both sides of the velcro to the fabric.



This is what the top should look like if you included an inverted pleat.


Because my skirt was too long, I "hitched" it up a couple of inches.


Then I did the responsible thing and actually checked to be sure my new length was correct.


I secured the new length with two rows of stitches. In the picture below, you can see that the edges did not line up evenly. Oh well!


Nevertheless, it is an improvement over the naked sink and now I can hide some unsightly stuff behind the skirt!




Now, would a matching toilet skirt be going overboard???

1 comment:

Mutuelle sante said...

Thanks a lot for the tutorial, this guide was incredibly important for me to master how to make a sink skirt. Thank you