Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cupcakes, Damn it.

I've looked all over the place, and I cannot find satisfying cupcake fabric. So, it falls upon me to create this item, and boy-howdy am I trying to do it in a little way I like to call, "the right way." Except I'm not sure what the right way is so away I go.

First, I drew sketches in my Rhodia notebook, comme ca (note: I drew these while riding in the car from Yachats to Portland, so they are a bit rougher than usual due to car turbulence):





Next, I begin to digitize and form some kind of a pattern in Inkscape:

I want the fabric to be "multi-directional" so there's no way for it to be upside-down. This makes it easier to cut. So I fiddle around with rotating the shapes and tiling the original design to get an idea of what it would look like on a larger scale.


Now, I'm working on adding color and patterns before submitting it to Spoonflower for a swatch to see if the colors are true to my vision.

Note polka-dot and stripe-y patterns on these 2 'cakes.

Any suggestions are welcome!!! Nation, we are in need of a kick-ass cupcake fabric. So let your voice be heard. These babies will find their way into vinyl covered zip pouches at some point soon. xxxooo melissa

No comments: